About Us

Created after a "Funday" of making Pickles and Coffee, two friends look to share with you their adventures and recipes from Seattle to Santa Barbara

Friday, February 27, 2009

the daily routine

| | 2 comments

I realize its been over a month since I've typed a single word, scanned a single picture, or wrote down an actual recipe. Don't worry though, for what looks like slacking is actually greatness in the works. For a little over a month now, I've been homeless in a city that that feels like home and jobless in an industry that has been so kind and inviting. While I feel a little limited without a kitchen to call my own, I have been writing down ideas that are burning holes in my pockets...so just you wait!

In the mean time, my days consist of scouring craigslist for a house I can call my own, riding my bike in the rain, and sipping coffee like its going out of style. Actually, the latter has been a real joy. Everyday at 3 o'clock, Stumptown Coffee has a free coffee tasting (cupping) where you can try some of the best coffees in the world. I usually make it there 3-4 times a week: Everyone there knows me by name. I guess you could say its my classroom until I become a professor. Unlike the wine industry however, which can be a little snooty and elitist, the coffee industry is softer, quieter, and quick to embrace. Just last week I met a woman at a Stumptown cupping, who invited me over to her cafe where she tasted me on all her different roasts and blends. That was the day I had 8 double espressos. I WAS WIRED. And today, I met with the roasters at Cafe Zoka, who welcomed me into their humble warehouse and brewed me a fresh cup of some Kenyan Tassia Peaberry. So while I don't have an address, kitchen, or job I can call my own, I still have my camera, my bike, and a passion for coffee that grows with every sip.

2 comments:

  1. It's awesome how open and welcoming the 'coffee community' has been to you. We can't wait to find out which respected roaster is lucky enough to bring you into their fold in the form of a job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How bore-ing
    on the whorizontal.
    Wanna wiseabove to
    Seventh-Heaven, pal?
    You dont even gotta
    see moi for
    999+ nonillion yeeers, dood.
    Think about what's after your death:
    Only 2 realms after our lifelong
    demise, bro, and 1 of em aint too cool.
    Doesnt matter if you
    dont believe in an Abyss o'Misery...
    Jesus does and YOUR unrepentant,
    mortal sIn gits you thar.

    trustNjesus.
    ALWAYS.
    God bless your indelible soul.

    ReplyDelete

 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance